What Is Near Space?
Near Space is the area between airspace and outer space—65,000 to 325,000 feet above sea level. For a frame of reference, 100,000 feet above sea level is the height of 80 Empire State Buildings.
Near Space provides several clear benefits over airspace and outer space.
- Near Space avoids the traffic and vulnerability found in commercial airspace.
- Near Space avoids the natural interference found in outer space.
- Near Space provides higher sensor resolution and accuracy than from space.
- Near Space enables faster response—new vehicle launches take hours vs. months.
- Near Space is accessible, making it easier to repair, change or improve a vehicle's payload.